The rise of artificial intelligence (AI) in education is becoming more evident as Coursera, a renowned American education technology platform, revealed that it attracted a new user every minute on average for AI courses throughout 2023. This noteworthy demonstration highlights the increasing trend of individuals seeking to acquire new skills and take advantage of the potential exponential growth of generative AI.
Jeff Magionkaldta, CEO of Coursera, emphasized the significance of generative AI, noting its widespread impact on people and industries. Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, he stated, “I would say that the real standout point is generative AI because it affects so many people.”
Contrary to initial investor concerns that generative AI applications could replace education technology companies, it seems that the opposite is happening. Instead, the technology has generated increased interest in acquiring new skills, proving to be beneficial for companies like Coursera.
Coursera strategically collaborates with pioneers in the AI race, partnering with industry leaders such as OpenAI and Google’s DeepMind to offer AI courses. With over 800 available AI courses, the platform recorded over 7.4 million enrollments in the previous year alone, according to Reuters.
Each student on the Coursera platform has access to a “Coach,” an AI assistant resembling ChatGPT, providing personalized guidance. Magionkaldta revealed that this assistant is created using large language models from OpenAI and Google’s Gemini, without Coursera developing or training their own models. The company plans to enhance these models with personalized data.
Additionally, Coursera has leveraged AI technology to translate approximately 4,000 courses into various languages, making education more accessible globally, as reported by the organization. As part of its strategic initiatives, the company plans to expand its AI team through increased hiring in the coming year.
The intense competition and enrollment in AI courses on Coursera mirror the broader global interest in technology driven, in part, by the widespread adoption of generative AI, as demonstrated by OpenAI’s ChatGPT. (Information sourced from Reuters)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Coursera?
Coursera is an American education technology platform that offers online courses, certifications, and degrees from top universities and organizations worldwide.
2. What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a technology that develops machines’ abilities to perform and mimic human intelligence, such as speech recognition, autonomous decision-making, and executing complex tasks.
3. How has the popularity of AI increased in education?
The popularity of AI in education has increased as more individuals recognize the need to acquire new skills and take advantage of the potential benefits of generative AI.
4. What impact does generative AI have on people and industries?
Generative AI has a significant impact on people and industries, contributing to advancements in various fields by enabling the creation of new content based on learned patterns.
5. How does Coursera collaborate with pioneers in AI?
Coursera strategically partners with industry leaders such as OpenAI and Google’s DeepMind to offer AI courses and leverage their expertise in the development of educational content.
6. How many AI courses does Coursera offer?
Coursera offers over 800 AI courses covering various topics and levels of expertise.
7. What is the role of the “Coach” AI assistant on Coursera?
The “Coach” is an AI assistant on Coursera that provides personalized guidance to each student, resembling the functionality of ChatGPT.
8. How does Coursera use AI to translate courses?
Coursera utilizes AI technology to translate approximately 4,000 courses into different languages, making educational content more accessible globally.
9. What is Coursera’s future strategy regarding AI?
Coursera plans to expand its AI team through increased hiring and further enhance its models with personalized data.
1. Artificial Intelligence (AI): Technology that develops machines’ abilities to perform and mimic human intelligence, such as speech recognition, autonomous decision-making, and executing complex tasks.
2. Generative AI: AI that is capable of creating new content, such as images, music, or text, based on learned patterns from existing data.
1. Coursera: [Coursera Official Website](https://www.coursera.org/)
2. OpenAI: [OpenAI Official Website](https://openai.com/)
3. Google’s DeepMind: [Google’s DeepMind Official Website](https://deepmind.com/)
These are your answers to the frequently asked questions about the article.