In a significant move impacting the AI training domain, Google has officially terminated its contract with Appen, an Australian data company that played a crucial role in training Google’s large language models (LLMs) for its AI tools used in Bard and Search. The decision, which Appen was unaware of prior to the announcement, brings forth unexpected and disappointing news for both parties involved.
The spokesperson for Google, in a statement to The Verge, explained that the termination of the agreement was part of their ongoing efforts to evaluate and adapt several of their contractual relationships with Alphabet, Google’s parent company. The objective is to ensure that their supplier operations are as efficient as possible. Although the decision may have caught Appen off guard, they remain focused on managing costs, transforming their business, and delivering high-quality data to their customers.
Appen is renowned for its contribution to training AI models, not only for Google but also for other tech giants like Microsoft, Meta, and Amazon. Their collaborators play a vital role in annotating data and assessing the quality of responses produced by these AI models. Consequently, Appen’s collaboration with Google has been instrumental in making the transition as smooth as possible.
The termination of the partnership between Google and Appen raises several questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about this development:
1. Which company assisted Google in training the language models for its AI tools in Bard and Search?
– The Australian data company, Appen, helped Google in training these models.
2. What was the revenue generated by Appen from its partnership with Google?
– The revenue generated by Appen from its partnership with Google amounted to $82.8 million in fiscal year 2023, with a net margin of 26%.
3. What led to Google’s decision to terminate the agreement with Appen?
– Google made the decision to terminate the agreement as part of its continuous efforts to evaluate and adjust its contractual relationships with Alphabet, aiming to ensure the utmost efficiency in their supplier operations.
4. Which other companies has Appen assisted in training SI models?
– Appen has also assisted in training SI models for Microsoft, Meta, and Amazon.
5. How will Appen be affected by the termination of the partnership with Google?
– Appen will adapt its strategic priorities and provide further details on the financial results of fiscal year 2023.
6. What does Appen state regarding the termination of the agreement?
– Appen expresses disappointment and surprise at the news, given the significant progress made in their transformation and performance.
– Google: A well-known technology company offering various services, including search engine, email, maps, and more.
– AI: An abbreviation for Artificial Intelligence, referring to the ability of computers to perform tasks that typically require human intelligence.
– LLM: Abbreviation for large language models used in machine learning, which refers to models used for processing and understanding natural language by computers.
Recommended Related Links:
– [Artificial Intelligence](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence)
– [Machine Learning](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning)