In a bold move, two scientists from Google’s DeepMind are set to embark on a new venture in the field of artificial intelligence. Laurent Sifre and Karl Tuyls, according to Bloomberg, are in talks with potential investors to establish a specialized AI company in Paris. While the financial round is projected to exceed $220 million, further details about the startup remain undisclosed.
Laurent Sifre, a co-author of groundbreaking research on AlphaGo, an innovative AI model developed by DeepMind, played a pivotal role in creating an AI program capable of defeating world-class Go players. This achievement led to AlphaGo’s retirement.
Karl Tuyls, known for his work in game theory and reinforcement learning for AI models, has similarly made significant contributions to the field. While the departure of both scientists from DeepMind is rumored, Google has yet to confirm their official resignation.
This is not the first instance of Google employees leaving the company to establish AI ventures. Notably, the OpenAI initiative consists of several former Google employees and is responsible for the creation of ChatGPT and GPT.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Who are Laurent Sifre and Karl Tuyls, and what is their role at Google’s DeepMind?
Laurent Sifre and Karl Tuyls are scientists affiliated with DeepMind, a subsidiary of Google. Sifre gained recognition as a co-author of research on AlphaGo, an AI model capable of mastering the game of Go. Tuyls is known for his work in game theory and reinforcement learning in the context of artificial intelligence.
2. How much funding is the startup led by Laurent Sifre and Karl Tuyls expected to raise?
The precise amount of funding expected to be raised by Laurent Sifre and Karl Tuyls’ startup is undisclosed. However, Bloomberg reports suggest that the financial round could surpass $220 million.
3. What kind of work has Laurent Sifre undertaken in the field of artificial intelligence?
Laurent Sifre has made significant contributions to AI research, particularly through his involvement in the development of AlphaGo. AlphaGo’s ability to defeat highly ranked Go players revolutionized the field of AI.
4. What is the value of the OpenAI initiative?
The OpenAI initiative, composed of former Google employees, has emerged as a prominent player in the AI industry. Their notable creations include ChatGPT and GPT, transformative language models that have attracted significant attention.
5. How many companies have been founded by former Google employees?
There is a growing trend of former Google employees establishing their own AI ventures. Though the exact number is not specified, Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google, has stated that over 2,000 companies have been founded by former Google employees.
6. Which companies that emerged from former Google employees have become Google’s clients?
While specific details are not available, some of the AI companies founded by ex-Google employees have become clients of Google. However, the exact list of such companies remains undisclosed.
– Artificial intelligence (AI): Refers to computer systems capable of performing tasks that typically require human intelligence.
– Investor: An individual or organization that allocates funds to a business with the expectation of generating profits.
– Financial round: The process through which a company raises capital from investors by selling shares.
Suggested relevant links: